FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
Please ask us anything about your new exhaust hood system, we want the entire process, including installation and inspection to go smoothly. Here are a few points that you may want to know going into your new project.
Our shipping fees are based on where we will be shipping the products to, the weight and volume.
Our team of experienced professionals will definitely offer any help and advice free of charge. Our customer service is second to none.
10 Things you need to know
Please ask us anything about your new exhaust hood system, We want the entire process, Including installation and inspection to go smoothly. Here are a few points that you may want to know going into your new project.
- Most municipalities in the U.S. Have adopted the new National Mechanical Code, Both code enforcement officers and plan review inspectors are looking out for your investment and the public safety of your customers. Some of the regulations may sound crazy, However we assure you that they are very important and serve a vital function in The exhaust hood system.
- The Exhaust hood system is not just a device to take out smoke and fumes from your cooking equipment. The Exhaust hood is an intricate part of your Fire Suppression System, The hood is the capture device for both Flames and fumes as well as grease ladened air.
- This is the proper working flow chart for your new hood. You must turn ON the exhaust fan and make up air fan to cook. If you don’t turn on the fans, a heat detector thermostat will turn the system on for you. ( this is CODE )
- In the event of an actual fire, You have the option of using a (K) type fire extinguisher to smother the fire. ( this is CODE ) If you don’t feel you can do this safely, You can pull the emergency pull station located by the closest exit door. To discharge the fire system inside the hood or if you panic and run out, The system will automatically discharge from heat.
- When the system is activated, or discharged, The gas valve will shut off the gas to the appliances under the hood as well as all electric to any appliance. ( this is CODE )
- Simultaneously when the gas shuts off, The electric shuts off, the Make Up Air fan that brings in fresh air also shuts off, Thus not feeding the fire oxygen, and helping smother the fire. While all of this is going on at the same time the fire extinguishing agent or chemical is also being discharged on to the fire. ( this is CODE )
- All of this happens in about a split second! It is not loud or in any way disruptive to any other area of the restaurant, The point is that waitresses and guests may not even know that there is a problem in the kitchen, Therefore in some municipalities you may be required to have a HORN STROBE warning device. Also if you are in a larger complex such as a mall or shopping center you may be required to tie your fire system in to the security and fire system for the whole building ( check with your local CODE officer )
- These are some facts that you should know about your hood weather you buy from us or another manufacturer. There are more internal parts to a working hood than, Just the hood package, You don’t have to buy these from us, However we highly recommend these items to you. We sell the electrical control system for the hood that is extremely easy to install, Yes you can have your own electrician wire the hood, However you must tell the electrician about the interlocking fire system and micro switches to control all aspects of the exhaust and fire system. ( I guarantee you will spend more time and money paying an electrician how to do all of this ) You must have a heat detection thermostat to interlock with the electrical and fire system. ( this is CODE )
- Keeping you’r hood system clean! This may sound impossible, The fact is that your kitchen personnel are the key to having a great system that will be almost maintenance free for years to come. Take out the filters every night, Place them standing on end with the fins placed vertical in the three bowl sink at close. Fill the sink full to the top of the filters with hot water and a squirt of Dawn Dish Detergent. In the morning before prep starts rinse the filters with clear water and replace them for a new day. The cleaner the filters are the less work the fan has to do. Clogged or dirty filters make the fan work hard, it heats up and then burns up or only lasts a short time. The grease build up is also a fire hazard. Wipe the hood down on a regular cleaning schedule and not only will you keep the health dept happy, You will not be buying electric motors and belts all of the time.
- Design your cook line so it works for your type of restaurant. Have a kitchen consultant help you or even an experienced Chef. The reason is the fire system is designed to extinguish each appliance individually. Some appliances only use one flow point, Where others use two or more. Fryers should not be placed next to a flame producing appliance such as a range or char broiler, There needs to be an 18″ spreader between a fryer and a flame. This can be accomplished with an 18″ table between the fryer and range or a wall of stainless steel 18″ high between the two appliances. This is referred to as a spreader.